Monday, April 03, 2006

son of adam

interesting thing happened to me this morning. just as i finished my morning shower, i slipped, and i fell backwards into the shower curtain. after a brief moment of support, the shower curtain gave way and we both came crashing down. on the way, we knocked over a small paint can full of rocks and a candle that were positioned on a nearby shelf. the can spilled over and the candle shattered into many, many pieces.

there we lay – naked, spilt, and shattered. and yet, i picked myself up, dealt with the mess, and continued on.

i couldn’t help but to think about the original fall of man. it all happened so fast – flat on his back, in a moment of disbelief. naked, with spilled hope and shattered dreams. and yet, he picked himself up, dealt with the mess, and continued on.

like father, like son.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm glad you survived the fall. Your description made me laugh (I'm sorry...not AT you...)It's just the image of a naked,full-grown man splayed willy-nilly on cold porcelain makes me giggle.

Shoot me.

I had a similar experience on Saturday.It was a gorgeous day.A day when you just can't stay inside.I decided to take a blank book to the park and write.

The park was busy. Children playing.Parents watching. Soccer balls being dribbled and aimed. Tennis racquets hitting balls. You get the picture.

I spotted a quiet bench away from the hubbub. It was near the canal where a bunch of ducks (gaggle? flock? I don't know...) were waddling around after a family swim.

As I lowered my body into the bench I noticed it was mottled with stains. White.Gray.Black.
It was an interesting pattern.

It felt good to sit,to ponder, and
to write.

A couple of hours later, in the chill of the setting sun. I got up, stretched, and headed back to my car. I was walking quickly. Head held high. Feeling proud of the writing I had just finished.

People smiled. The over-interested guy near the soccer field waved. I waved back. He stared at me longer than he needed to. Then it hit me!

What if I was strutting through the well-poulated park with a big fat splotch of duck poop on my butt?

And then something else hit me!



Aren't we all?

Anonymous said...

Sorry, that's *populated.*

See?

Duck poop!

Gets me every time!