Wednesday, May 03, 2006

along life's way

i’m reading a book and thinking outside of the box. we are so divided – as people, genders, cultures, religions, etcetera. why? why are we so divided? do we get hung up on preferences? beliefs? opinions? desires? egos? too often, i’m distracted by things that don’t matter. i want to see the truth in everything. or at least take the time to search for it.

“we are all born like catholics, aren’t we – in limbo, without religion, until some figure introduces us to god? after that meeting the matter ends for most of us. if there is a change, it is usually for the lesser rather than the greater; many people seem to lose god along life’s way. that was not my case. the figure in question for me was an older sister of mother’s, of a more traditional mind, who brought me to a temple when i was a small baby. auntie rohini was delighted to meet her newborn nephew and she thought she would include mother goddess in the delight. ‘it will be his symbolic first outing,’ she said. ‘it’s a samskara!’ symbolic indeed. we were in madurai; i was the fresh veteran of a seven-hour train journey. no matter. off we went on this hindu rite of passage, mother carrying me, auntie propelling her. i have no conscious memory of this first go-around in a temple, but some smell of incense, some play of light and shadow, some flame, some burst of colour, something of the sultriness and mystery of the place must have stayed with me. a germ of religious exaltation, no bigger than a mustard seed, was sown in me and left to germinate. it has never stopped growing since that day.” yann martel

3 comments:

ttm said...

This post has left me wrestling with many thoughts today--some of which might be defined by others as negative ones.

There is a lot of information in Yann Martel's quote that gets me thinking...a lot of things I think I don't agree with.

I don't think we are born into limbo...I think we are born into sin. And, in my opinion, we remain in sin unless we accept God's work of salvation as something personal--meant for us as individuals.

I'm not sure that we are introduced to God. I think he makes Himself known to us. And we must be careful that we know him for ourselves--not through someone else's interpretation of Him or another's relationship with Him.

I believe that our meeting God is the beginning, not the end, of the matter.

I think that when we begin a relationship with God, the changes made are usually for the greater, not the lesser.

I don't think there is a mother goddess. I think that God embodies both feminine and masculine characteristics, but Scripture, to my knowledge, doesn't indicate a female God.

I also find nuggets of truth in Martel's statement:

Other people do play a huge role in our spiritual growth and understanding.

Many people do seem to walk away from or "lose God along life's way."

There are many ways that people attempt to reach God--symbolism, rituals, religious exaltations.

It is important to plant seeds in young children so that those seeds of spiritual truth may grow over time.

As I reflect on my agreement and disagreement with Martel's thoughts, I wonder things like:

Am I hung up on my opinions? Or do I simply have convictions which have grown as I have walked with God and studied His word?

If these opinions/convictions cause social division, should they be set aside in order to acheive harmony with all men? If I set them aside for the positive benefit of harmony, will there be negative results as well?

Is there really truth in everything? Or are some things void of truth? Are some things posing as truth without any substance at all?

Is searching for truth an unending, circular proposition which just keeps me spinning or is the search valuable?

I would welcome the opportunity to sit down and have dinner with Yann Martel. But what if I didn't agree with everything that was said? What if I spoke my conviction that I don't believe "religion" will carry a soul all the way to heaven? What if I shared my discomfort with some of the statements made? Would I be branded a judgmental, in-the-box thinker?

Sometimes I feel that those who identify with the Scriptural claim that Jesus is THE way, THE truth, and THE life are becoming targets of those who want to relegate Him to ONE OF THE MANY ways to reach God.

I don't consider myself narrow-minded or hate-filled (but maybe I am.) I respect the right of others to believe differently than I do (at least I think I do.) But sometimes I feel like if I don't water down my beliefs and soften my convictions, people of other religious persuasions don't respect me.

I'm looking forward to hearing what others think about these things...

Anonymous said...

This makes absoultely no sense whatsoever!

ttm said...

Anonymous, WHAT makes no sense?