Monday, February 27, 2006

joyous leaves

i was reading a book of walt whitman poems yesterday and came across the following. it reminds me that we were created to be in relationship with others. however, it also reminded me that our creator can do miraculous things (in us and through us) while we are adventuring alone. for, in fact, we are not alone. (i’m grateful for reminders.)

i saw in louisiana a live-oak growing

i saw in louisiana
a live-oak growing,
all alone stood it
and the moss hung down
from the branches,

without any companion
it grew there
uttering joyous leaves of dark green,
and its look, rude, unbending, lusty,
made me think of myself,

but i wonder’d how it could
utter joyous leaves
standing alone there
without its friend near,
for i knew i could not,

and i broke off a twig
with a certain number of
leaves upon it,
and twined around it a little moss,
and brought it away,

and i have placed it in sight in my room,
it is not needed to remind me
as of my own dear friends,
(for i believe lately i think of little else
than of them,)

yet it remains to me a curious token,
it makes me think of manly love;
for all that, and though the live-oak
glistens there in louisiana
solitary in a wide flat space,

uttering joyous leaves all its life
without a friend a lover near,
i know very well i could not.

© walt whitman

No comments: